Top Trends in the Hobby Industry for 2017
2016 is behind us and for many in the RC hobby, it was a good year, but 2017 looks to be moving along with great speed all ready. Wink's Hobbies in Ithaca is perched on the edge of astounding new developments and is excited to bring you exactly the products that you need.
Our area is activity filled with such a varying population. As the premier hobby shop in Ithaca, we want to help you find exactly what you desire when it comes to RC hobbies, model airplanes, RC model trucks and all things pertaining to this remarkable hobby.
2017 Will Bring Changes to the Industry
Each year we see new products, improvements and excitement building. 2017 is just that, another fabulous year ahead for the RC industry. Take a stroll through your hobby shop in Ithaca to get a first hand look at all the new products and trends breaking ground this year.
Let's look at what's new in the RC industry!
* It's here!!! 3D printing will really start taking off. Right now there are a few people here and there doing 3D printing, that number should really increase in 2017. No, 3D printing isn’t going to take over this year, but it looks to be building in popularity. In the years to come, it should be worked out where you can start 3D printing the latest uber parts from big name companies right at home. This certainly make take some time as the industry figures out how to capitalize on the at-home printing market.
* Body clips are getting closer to extinction. Body clips have long been a part of the rc hobby, but they are slowly going away. Body clips get lost too easily, they get mangled too easily, and they detract from a perfect scale appearance. For examples on cars right now you don’t have to look far, the Traxxas X-Maxx has a very nice body attachment system that doesn’t use body clips and the trucks from RC4WD have hidden body mounting systems as well.
* Drones will continue to pull attention away from surface. You would have to be living on Mars not to know that drones are not only going mainstream, but that they are also pulling resources away from the surface market. And you can’t blame the manufacturers, they exist to keep their lights on and their families fed, if drones are making a lot of money, then they are going to get the most money thrown at them. Expect another banner year for quadcopters in 2017.
* Scale realism will keep expanding. It used to be that rock crawlers were the only segment where scale realism mattered, in 2017 we’ll be seeing realism more emphasized in other genres. With the car market being as cut throat as it is, small details like windshield wipers, rear view mirrors, and accurate grills can make the difference between a hot seller and a dud. Expect a lot of new releases this year to come with more scale detailing than has been seen up to this point!
* In the niche markets, expect even more “limited edition” models. Limited releases have been doing well among the collecting crowd, expect to see even more of these in the coming months.
* Racing stays on the decline.This is very sad news for the industry. Until the powers that be make changes to fix local racing, you can expect to see less new models announced, as well as less R & D cash thrown at improving current product lines.Racing is a ghost of what it was 15 years ago. Racing is a fantastic promotional tool to get people into the hobby, hopefully they get that side of our hobby fixed up. Don't give up on racing, though. Keep the sport alive and stay active in your community and with other racers throughout the country.
2017 is looking to be an exciting here in the RC industry. Wink's Hobby Shop in Ithaca is looking forward to bringing you along for the ride. Join us today, stroll through our shop and talk to our staff about what's in store for you and other hobbiests in the area.
We look forward to helping you get started or building out better performance models for all your needs.